Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Putnam's


Niles and I met in college when we were both 21. We actually officially met on my 21st birthday! He bought me this disgusting shot, and ever since then were going out buddies! We would go bowling, or meet up after class with Derek (my next door neighbor in the dorms at Lycoming College) and go get dinner or some drinks. I remember going to watch him play softball at his college (Penn Tech) on Thursdays and cheering him on. He was the only person to meet me half way late at night, when I walked to the bars...I was so scared to walk by myself, but it always took me longer on the weekends to get ready because I had to cheer at the games and they didn't get done till later! But every weekend Niles would meet me half way, so I didn't have to walk down the sketchy ally in the dark by myself! ha ha


Anyways...for two years we were just friends. Most of the time we hated each other, but other times we got along well and JUST hung out with "the gang"! Everyone would make fun of us, because of this love-hate relationship, and swear that one day we were going to get married because we were just perfect for each other. Honestly, back then the thought of being married was absurd and at that to NILES!!!


We both graduated college in May of 2006 and attended each others graduations. It wasn't until his graduation from Penn Tech (also in wiliamsport PA), that we decided the give it a go with the whole relationship thing. The only thing was it was going to have to be long distance...I moved back to DuBois PA, and he moved back to Wyalusing PA. We visited each other a lot, when we could...but it was only about twice a month. I eventually moved to Harrisburg and became soooo extremely busy with my new jobs that we decided to take a break.


Niles still came to harrisburg on occasion, because he made the decision to enlist in the Air Force. So about once a month, he would have to come to his PT test and paper work at the Harrisburg office and each time he came always made it a point to visit me or get ahold of me. Niles flew out of Harrisburg on February 12Th of 2007 for basic training in Texas. In basic training, they take the battery out of your cell phone so you are not allowed to use it. You have to earn your phone privileges and even then are only giving a certain time limit on your calls....I was not going to hear from him for a whole 16 weeks!!!


Thinking I would never hear from Niles again (I'm very dramatic)...I went on with my life in Harrisburg working my three jobs. So 16 weeks later when I saw Niles on my caller ID, I about had a heart attack! We became really close while he was in Tech school down in Texas. He found out that his first base station was going to be in Alamogordo New Mexico, and asked me to move down there with him once he was out of school. I agreed, and within a couple weeks we made the decision to get married!


On September 11Th 2007 we were married in Harrisburg PA, and shortly after I made the long drive to New Mexico and Have lived here for almost a whole year! Amazing that someone you meet randomly on your 21st birthday is the man you will spend the rest of your life with! I am so glad our lives constantly crossed each others paths, and I really think that we were meant for each other. He is opposite me in so many ways, but completes the things that I lack in life.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Life works in crazy ways and what is meant to be is just meant to be!! WE love you niles and so very glad you were there for Alyssa's 21st birthday and for all the rest of it!! :) Happy Anniversary guys!!!